Editorial: Spring Spirit Week Reminds Us of Value of Community

May 23, 2022

A highlight of Spirit Week in April was the basketball game between students and staff, when players from both sides filled the court in the Panther Dome, working together to defeat their opponents. Residential Faculty Darren Chan chased students down the court, racing to the net, ending a busy Spirit Week.

Moments of school unity can feel rare, but when they happen, we realize how much they matter. The editors of The Eastside Panther applaud the school community for demonstrating spirit and call on everyone to bring it back next year stronger than ever.

Throughout the school year, the enthusiasm for school events has constantly changed. In August, Eastside’s elective staff implemented ‘First Fridays’ to give students the chance to try out parts of different electives and draw the community together. Although not everyone participated, having groups of students take part and others observe and discuss what was going on created a communal feeling.

COVID-19 put a stop to in person events on campus for 18 months, so this year has been about rebuilding the spirit that was lost. By the end of the year, everyone was finally able to come together in the auditorium to enjoy drama, music and dance performances and the traditional college announcement ceremony.

Taking these events for granted is easy, but all those months of missing events should teach us to treasure these opportunities and attend as many as we can. Everyone can contribute to the ambience of unity, and support peers who may be trying something new for the first time.

Attending performances, art shows, computer science open-houses or First Fridays are all ways to demonstrate community spirit.  So is turning up for our athletes who go all out on the basketball and volleyball courts throughout the year. We weren’t able to go in person during COVID-19, but now we are again. We should fill the stands with cheering Panther fans. A few hours a week to unwind and support your school can be entertaining!

As the school year comes to a close, let’s remember the spirit we rediscovered this year and continue building on it next year.

The Eastside Panther • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in