Sophomore Elmer Moya and senior Isaiah Pardue-Bishop compete in the 100-meter dash at the track meet on March 31. (Photo by Diana Gomez)
Sophomore Elmer Moya and senior Isaiah Pardue-Bishop compete in the 100-meter dash at the track meet on March 31.

Photo by Diana Gomez

Track Swings Back Into Action

April 6, 2022

As spring sports begin, Track and Field athletes are eager and training hard to do well in their first season in two years. Track and Field includes several events, and students are practicing in separate groups for those events.

Senior Billy Rosas, who is participating in the discus throw, said that the last season back in 2019 was “way different” because they had no field coach and had to teach themselves to play.

New discus coach Luis Rosas (class of 2019), who is Billy’s older brother, recalls when he had to teach himself during his senior year. He would ask his competitors for advice, and he enjoyed interacting with other schools.

“It feels good to pass down all my learning to other kids,” said coach Luis, “and take them down the same path I took. It’s very satisfying.”

Since Track has not occurred for two years, many upperclassmen feel excited to participate again. Senior Juan Lopez, a distance runner, said that he enjoys getting back to running because it keeps him active. He likes knowing that his day will finish with a good run because practice happens during the last period of the school day. Billy said that he is both nervous and excited for the meet because they never had a meet before and he gets to compete with other people.

Although Track is an individual sport, a strong relationship between team members is essential to keep the team’s energy up and ready to take on victory. This year, team chemistry is off to a strong start.

“Everyone is supportive and nice to one another,” said discus thrower, senior Jessica Cornejo, who has participated in Track since her sophomore year.

Panther athletes performed well at the first Track and Field meet on March 31 at Sacred Heart.

The Eastside Panther • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in