Freshman Emma Adjei illustrating her name on graffiti poster during the First Friday on Oct. 7.

Photo by Ariana Delabra

Building Community: First Friday Sparks Spirit Across Grades

Senior Stephany Urbina-Diaz drawing a holiday panther on the First Friday event held on Dec. 2. (Photo by Juan Ibarra)

“Ding!” It’s 12:25 pm on Friday Dec. 2 and waves of students make their way to the school quad, asking themselves, “What are those booths doing there?” and “What is that music for?” While some students rush to the cafeteria lunch line and others go directly to save their tables for lunch, everyone’s busy day is interrupted by First Friday!

Freshman Emma Adjei illustrating her name on graffiti poster during the First Friday on Oct. 7. (Photo by Ariana Delabra)

The most recent First Friday was hosted by Journalism and Yearbook. They offered a variety of games and crafts as ways to learn more about the two classes. No matter the grade, gender or background, First Friday provides an opportunity for everyone to stand side by side and take in the fun and beauty of their peers’ work together.

“It helps bring the Eastside community a little bit closer to each other, and it’s a chance for everyone to have fun together.” said senior Joshua Banos.

First Friday began last year when students and staff returned to campus after the pandemic sent everyone home, as a way to familiarize everyone with electives. This year, Photography and Art hosted first. The Photography class set up a booth where students could take pictures with friends holding fun props and silly backgrounds, and Art class set up a graffiti wall, where students wrote on a large white poster using different graffiti styles. The poster now hangs in the cafeteria.

“I see people that normally wouldn’t hang out or talk to each other, at a table together,” said Dance and Drama teacher Amy Conners. “It helps in terms of building a community.”

The Eastside Panther • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in