You Have 2 Minutes … RUN!

Photo by Ariana Delabra

Students rush to classes after hearing the new warning bell.

As laughter and chatter fills the hallway and students check their lockers during break, time flies by and vanishes. Then the bell rings.

Students look around in confusion before rushing to class.

And then the bell rings again.

With the return to in-person school, students forgot the meaning of the bell. They only started to walk to class when they heard it, increasing the number of tardies.

“After the end of the Zoom year, people forgot they actually had to move to get to class,” said Office Manager Janelle Fine.

Tardies were raised in staff meetings frequently as this issue had never reached the extent it had recently. Many teachers connected the issue with the time students spent in virtual school. In the 2019-2020 school year, there were a total of 2296 tardies. This year there are already 3072 tardies, a 33% increase, and the year isn’t even over yet.

“When the bell rings you should be in your seat with your materials ready, not walking into class,” Vice Principal Helen Kim said.

Two bells have never been used before so students — especially seniors and juniors –were confused.

The tardies were mostly among freshman and sophomores, who had not been on campus before. The two-minute warning bell has reduced the number of tardies, although not, eliminated it. Students have been getting to class on time throughout the actual school day, but still run late in the morning.

“It’s a psychological thing,” Janelle said. “People hear the bell and think ‘Oh shoot I need to get to class.’”

The only problem that students seemed to have with the bell was the fact that they were never told that it would be happening or how it would work, but instead had to gradually figure it out.

Many students think it has helped them become on time for class, and overall has made an impact.

“I’ve heard a lot of students say that they think it’s very effective,” freshman Camila Berber said. “They’re actually on time for class now.”